What makes Hidden Valley Ashram Unique?
Hidden Valley Ashram provides men with the opportunity to experience what it is like to live as a monastic.
Self Realization Fellowship has several ashrams in the United States and one ashram in Germany. But, none of these ashrams are currently equipped to allow lay members to reside as guests, making a stay at Hidden Valley Ashram a unique experience for men of SRF.
Guests who are not students of the Self Realization Fellowship lessons can stay at the ashram for a day or two. General guests can stay up to a week, Service Guests can stay for up to thirty days, Resident guests can stay up to two years.
Monstics as well as lay members follow a daily routine.
In addition to your personal mediation periods as a guest of the ashram you are invited to attend the morning and evening group energization and meditations.
You can also join in group hatha yoga classes, recreation such as volleyball and basketball and hiking.
What are guests?
We have three types of guests at the ashram.
- Guests - guests are welcome to stay at the ashram for up to thirty days at a time. A guest is invited to attend all group activities and meditations but their schedule is their own. The suggested donation for guests is $95 per night and includes breakfast and lunch. The ashram does not serve dinner but you are welcome to help yourself to the well stocked refrigerator and pantry.
- Work Guests - work guests fill a very important niche for the ashram. We have over 400 fruit trees, along with extensive gardens, a wood shop, an auto shop, a maintenance shop, a refectory (food service), an IT systems dept. and more. We are in constant need of devotees willing to serve in various capacities.
- Work guests can serve up to 30 days
- Work guests participate in all group activities (while general guests participation in group activities is optional)
- Work guests serve from 8:30 - 4:30 Monday through Friday.
- Work guests suggested donation is $20 per night and includes breakfast and lunch. The ashram does not serve dinner but you are welcome to help yourself to the well stocked refrigerator and pantry.
- Resident Guests - Resident guests apply for residency and once approved can stay for longer periods of time, up to two years.
- Volunteer Guests - Volunteers are another critical component of life at Hidden Valley Ashram. Volunteers are men who live in the San Diego area and have created time in their day to day life to serve consistently at the ashram. We have volunteers who come for 1/2 a day a week, others who are here daily or as often as their schedule allows. Volunteers do not live in the ashram but are welcome to attend all ashram activities. If you are interested in volunteering at Hidden Valley please click on the button below and fill out the questionnaire and we will get back to you.